Alaska Airlines statement on overheating card reader

Updated Oct. 12, 10 a.m.

A credit card reader on Alaska Airlines flight 17 from Newark to Seattle overheated shortly after 7 a.m. Monday.

The credit card reader, a mobile device which is used to take payment for onboard food and beverage purchases, began smoking from what appeared to be the battery compartment of the device.

While there were no flames at any point during the flight, the flight crew did use a fire extinguisher to stop the device from smoking while the captain made arrangements for an emergency landing in Buffalo, New York.

The plane landed safely and without incident at 8:15 a.m., with no injuries to anyone onboard.

Customers will be reaccommodated on another aircraft, flight 9232, which is scheduled to depart from Buffalo at 5:20 p.m. local time.

Contrary to what has been reported, there was no fire onboard the aircraft.

There were 181 passengers and six crew members onboard the Boeing 737-900ER.